57 Hyde Street SO23 7DY
Tel: 01962 862592
In 1110AD the Benedictine monks of New Minister moved their library, relics and the bodies of King Alfred, his wife Alswitha and son, Edward the Elder to the newly built Hyde Abbey to the north of the city of Winchester. Their bodies were laid to rest before the high alter of the great stone church and the Abbey became a popular pilgrimage destination.
In 1539 the abbey was surrendered to Henry VIII’s commissioners as part of the king’s programme to dissolve the monasteries. The Hyde Abbey monks were pensioned off, its treasures were destroyed or dispersed and the buildings were reduced to rubble.
All that remains of the abbey today are a magnificent stone gateway, an arch that used to span the abbey millstream and the church built for the pilgrims and lay-brothers, now the nave and chancel of St Bartholomew’s Parish Church.
To find out more about Hyde and, in particular, the Hyde 900 community project, head to: